Jackson County History

Jackson County was created by the Alabama legislature on  Dec. 13, 1819, from land acquired from the Cherokee Indians. The county was named in honor of Gen. Andrew Jackson. Jackson County is located in the northeastern corner of the state. It is bounded on the north by Tennessee, on the east by Georgia and DeKalb County, on the south by DeKalb and Marshall counties, and on the west by Madison County. Most of the county is drained by the Tennessee River. The act establishing Jackson County designated Sauta Cave as a temporary seat of justice.  Bellefonte was the county seat from 1821 until 1859, at which time it was transferred to Scottsboro, which was named for Robert T. Scott, an early settler from North Carolina.

Early Jackson County History

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
  Copyright © JCHistory.com., 2014  All Rights Reserved.